Mental Health Services Act
Welcome to Merced County's Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) page.
What is MHSA?
Purpose: MHSA (or Proposition 63) was approved by voters in 2004. This Act imposes a 1% income tax on personal income in excess of $1 million in order to increase county mental health funding. MHSA is focused on creating an innovative mental health system that promotes wellness, recovery, and resiliency while decreasing stigma. Services are culturally competent, easier to access, and more effective in preventing and treating serious mental illness. Please select to view the latest version of the Amended MHSA as revised 01/04/18.
MHSA is based on 5 essential elements:
- Cultural Competence
- Community Collaboration
- Consumer and Family Driven Services
- Focus on Wellness, Recovery and Resiliency
- An Integrated Services Experience
MHSA is implemented through five (5) main Components:
Latest News and Upcoming Events
Merced County's 2019-2020 MHSA Annual Update
Merced County's 2019-2020 MHSA Annual Update is posted for 30-day public review and comment period. Please utilize the Public Comment Form to submit comments.
A Public Hearing will be held on December 3, 2019 at 5:30 p.m. by the Merced County Behavioral Health Board to consider approval of the 2019-2020 Annual Update. The Public Hearing will be held at BHRS, 301 East 13th Street in Merced, and will be open to the public.
Mental Health Services Act World Café
Merced County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services is seeking feedback from all Community Members on Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) programs and services.
Click on the flyer to view ADA World Café flyer in PDF.
Wednesday, November 20, 2019
2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Merced County BHRS
301 E. 13th Street, Merced, CA
Suite E, Room C207
Please RSVP if possible to MHSA@countyofmerced.com or by calling 209-381-6832
We Want Your Input!
Merced County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services is seeking input from stakeholders regarding Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) programs and mental health services in Merced County. Your feedback will help develop the MHSA Annual Update for FY 2019-2020.
Focus groups will run through November 19, 2019.
Click on the flyer to view the MHSA Community Planning Process flyer in PDF and for information on who to contact with questions about the MHSA community planning process and how to schedule a focus group.
View the MHSA calendar below to find a schedule of upcoming focus groups.
- Visit the Training Schedule Page to see the list of upcoming BHRS trainings and to download the flyer or registration form.
- MHSA partners with Public Health to provide Health Education classes, workshops and trainings aimed to improve both mental and physical health. Click here to view Public Health's calendar of upcoming classes.
- Visit the Suicide Prevention Page to learn more about our ongoing initiative and view photos from Suicide Prevention Month.
- Visit the MHSA Events and Campaigns Page to access recent event photos and learn more about these educational and inspiring events.
- Visit the MHSA Artwork Page to view more inspiring and creative consumer and community artwork.
Recent MHSA Plans, Updates, and Reports
- 2018-2019 MHSA Annual Update (Adopted 01/29/2019)
- Program Update to the 2017-2020 MHSA Three-Year Program and Expenditure Plan (Reversion/Reallocation) - FINAL (Adopted 08/17/2018)
- 2017-2020 MHSA Three-Year Program and Expenditure Plan - FINAL (Adopted 12/19/2017)
- 2016-2017 MHSA PEI Annual Program and Evaluation Report (1st Annual)
- 2016-2017 MHSA Innovation Annual Project Report (1st Annual)
Visit the MHSA Plans, Updates, and Reports page to view recent and historical MHSA program and fiscal documents.