CUPA & Hazardous Materials / Waste Information

Merced County Department of Public Health, Division of Environmental Health (MCDEH) oversees six state-mandated programs in Merced County. Businesses that belong to any of those six programs are routinely inspected by the Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) team. Our approach is education-based and we focus on customer service. We have partnered with NES Global to offer free classes covering a variety of topics from each of the programs we regulate.  

CUPA / Hazmat Programs:

  1. Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP)Hazmat tanks
  2. California Accidental Release Program (CalARP)
  3. Underground Storage Tank Program (UST)
  4. Aboveground Storage Tank Program (APSA)
  5. Hazardous Waste Generator Program
  6. Tiered Permitting Program

NEW – FREE 2023 Merced County Environmental Compliance WEBINARS

Environmental Reporting

To access the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) Step-by-Step User Guide, please visit California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) Step-by-Step User Guide.

To access the AB 1429 Guidance Document regarding the current Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) submittal requirements, please see AB 1429 Guidance.

For Information and to access the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) to create an account or to update/submit your Hazardous Material Business Plan (HMBPs) electronically, please visit the CERS website.

To report a hazardous materials spill or release, contact the Governor’s Office of Emergency Services (Cal OES) warning center at 1-800-852-7550. For additional information, please view the Cal OES Hazardous Materials Spill / Release Notification Guide and visit the Cal OES website.


For FAQ regarding the storage of Hazardous Materials and Hazardous Material Business Plans (HMBPs), please view the Hazardous Material Business Plan FAQ.

Household Hazardous Waste Events

For more information regarding household hazardous waste landfills at the Highway 59 or Billy Wright Landfills, please visit Merced County RWA.

Underground Storage

To download the UST Permit Application: Install, Upgrade, Repair, & Closure, please see: UST Permit Application.

Download the Guidelines for Permanent Closure of Underground Storage Tanks

For more information on the deadlines for the Overfill Prevention Equipment Inspection, please view the State Water Resources Control Board’s letter here: Regulatory Deadline for Overfill Prevention Equipment Inspection Letter

For Underground Storage Tank forms and information, please visit: California Water Boards Underground Storage Tank Program

Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tanks

For information regarding Aboveground Storage Tanks and SPCC plans, please visit: Environmental Protection Agency

For a breakdown of SPCC Plans, please visit: Breakdown of SPCC Plans

For the Aboveground Tank System Closure Application, please visit: Aboveground Tank System Closure Application

The CAL FIRE-Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) Information Bulletin 14-005 provides information regarding the prohibited use of underground storage tanks (USTs) as aboveground storage tanks (ASTs). For more information, please select the links below:

Hazardous Waste Generator

To obtain a permanent State ID number or to inactivate your number with the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), please complete and submit DTSC Form 1358. This number is required to dispose of non-RCRA waste, such as used oil or universal waste. For more guidance and/or to download the form, please visit Department of Toxic Substances Control | State EPA ID Numbers.

To obtain a permanent Federal EPA ID number or to inactivate your number with the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), please complete and electronically submit the US EPA Form 8700-12 on your myRCRAid System or download the paper form. This number is required to dispose of more than 100 kg of RCRA hazardous waste and/or 1 kg of acutely hazardous waste per month.  If you generate less than those amounts, you will need a permanent state ID number instead. For more guidance on how to access myRCRAid and/or to download the paper form to mail to DTSC, please visit Department of Toxic Substances Control | Federal EPA ID Numbers.


If you have any questions, comments or concerns, scheduling needs, or other requests, please contact us via email or phone.

Email: [email protected]

Phone: (209) 381-1100