We understand that testifying during a trail is not an easy thing and you might be nervous, so here are a few tips to help reassure and prepare you...
- Dress Appropriately-The way you present yourself is a reflection on you. It is to your advantage to dress neatly and conduct yourself in a courteous manner.
- Tell the Truth- If called to testify, listen carefully to the questions asked of you. Make sure you understand each question and give an accurate answer to the best of your ability. If you do not know the answer, be sure to say so.
- Do Not Guess or Speculate- Be yourself and answer in your own words. Do not pause or try to figure our if your answer will help or hurt the case.
- Be Courteous and Keep Calm- Try to remain calm and do not lose your temper. Being polite makes a god impression. Do not argue with the attorneys or allow yourself to become upset during questioning.
- Speak Loudly and Clearly- It is the duty of the attorney to make the question answerable. If you did not hear the question or understand it, ask the attorney to repeat it. STOP speaking immediately if an objection is made by one of the attorneys.
- Be prepared to wait- The court process can be long and unpredictable; however, your role is a very important one. Your cooperation and patience are necessary.
- Never smoke, chew gum, eat, or drink anything while in the courtroom- Also, do not have alcoholic beverages the day you are to come to court.
If the defense attorney makes you feel uneasy, he is just doing his job. You are not on trial and you are in control. It is the defendant that is on trial.