Recording Information

Accepting Documents

The County Recorder will accept any document that is authorized or required by California law to be recorded.

Please note, beginning April 1, 2010, a Transfer Tax Affidavit form must be completed and submitted when recording any deed that is exempt from transfer tax.


The document must be photographically reproducible and contain proper information, such as:

  • An Assessor Parcel Number (APN) is required for all documents that transfer an interest in real property. A Preliminary Change of Ownership Form must also be included. Please use the current form, BOE-502-A -rev 15 (02-21). Form numbers can be found in the top left hand corner of the form.
  • The document should name the person requesting the recording. Names must be printed or typed under all signatures and business names.
  • The property must be located in Merced County.
  • The document should have a name and address of where the document should be sent after recording.
  • Documents affecting title to real property must have proper notary acknowledgment.
  • Additional requirements may apply depending on the type of document.

Obtaining Copies of Recorded Documents

The following information must be provided in order to obtain copies of recorded documents:

  • Type of document
  • The document number (book and page number if document has one)
  • The recording year
  • Name of at least one of the parties named in the document
  • Name and address of the person or agency to whom the copies are to be returned


Main Office

2222 M St., Main Floor
Merced, CA 95340
Ph: (209) 385-7627