The Merced County Department of Public Health is closely following the guidance of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and California Department of Public Health on the novel (new) nCoV virus that is causing an outbreak of pneumonia illness. Coronavirus is a type of virus that causes diseases of varying severities, ranging from the common cold to more serious respiratory disease.
Do not go to your provider’s office without calling ahead. Do not call 911 for suspected COVID-19 unless you are having a medical emergency.
- Difficulty Breathing
- Severe Illness
- Older Adults
- Individuals with serious chronic medical conditions like heart disease, diabetes, or lung disease
- Individuals with compromised immune systems
How is Coronavirus Spread
- Coughing and sneezing
- Close personal contact, such as touching shaking hands
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands
Novel coronavirus is new, and we are continuing to learn about spreading patterns and incubation periods
There is no specific antiviral treatment recommended for the 2019-nCoV infection. People with symptoms should contact their providers.
Currently, there is no vaccine available to protect against 2019-nCoV.
- Novel Coronavirus is a new virus that hasn’t been identified before in humans.
- Coronavirus can spread through close personal contact, or by touching an object of surface with the virus on it.
- Use prevention measures that work to prevent other respiratory infections to prevent novel Coronavirus.
- The Merced County Department of Public Health is taking steps to prevent the spread of Coronavirus in Merced County.
Information for Healthcare Professionals
Visit: CDC Coronavirus Information
Additional Information on Coronavirus
- Congregate Outbreak Protocol
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization: Novel Coronavirus – China
- CDC Handouts and Posters
- California Department of Public Health
- EPA-Registered Disinfectants
- John Hopkins COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Global Cases Map
- COVID-19 resource page to the CSAC website
- COVID-19 Videos