Substandard Housing

The Merced County Department of Community and Economic Development, Division of Building & Safety Substandard Housing Program responds to complaints initiated by occupants of rental units, concerned neighbors and other internal/external agencies regarding substandard housing conditions for all unincorporated areas within Merced County.

The Division of Building & Safety Staff investigates and resolves complaints regarding unsanitary and unsafe residential buildings and abatement of public nuisances. We enforce the California Health and Safety code 17920.3, the 1997 Uniform Housing Code, and Merced County code.

Responding quickly and effectively to substandard housing conditions to protect the health of individual occupants, and the community as a whole is the goal of the Division of Building & Safety .

Some examples of priority violations include but not limited to:

  • Surfacing raw sewage
  • Lack of heat during winter months
  • Ceilings or roofs falling in

*Mobile home park complaints should be forwarded to California Dept. of Housing and Community Development, to Paul Donges at (209)649-4392 or (916)255-­2501.


Housing Complaints Within Incorporated Cities

For housing complaints within incorporated city areas, please contact the appropriate municipal code enforcement agency for assistance:

City Code Enforcement Dept.Contact Number
Merced(209) 385-6912
Atwater(209) 357-6211
Gustine(209) 854-3737
Livingston(209) 394-8041
Los Banos(209) 827-7070
Dos Palos(209) 392-2178


For additional information or to report a substandard housing violation please call (209) 385-7477, or to submit a Consumer Complaint Form online.

Housing Advisory & Buildings Code Board of Appeals: MEMBERS NEEDED

REQUIREMENTS: Knowledge of building codes. Must not be a current county employee.