With the current storm system expected to bring up to three inches of rain in portions of the Central Valley, the Merced County Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is anticipating additional weather impacts and evacuation warnings by order of the Sheriff.
Significant rainfall will overload some reservoirs, causing flooding along local waterways. Flooded roads will be likely, and residents are encouraged to avoid travel if possible and never drive through floodwaters. When driving in the rain, always turn on your headlights and follow all emergency signage.
Residents are encouraged to have an evacuation plan and be prepared to evacuate if necessary. Residents in possible evacuation areas are encouraged to have important items prepared in a "go bag," such as:
- Car/house keys;
- Cell phones with chargers;
- Credit cards and cash;
- Changes of clothing;
- Legal and insurance documents.
Due to increasing flows along local waterways, Merced County Sheriff Vern Warnke has issued an evacuation warning for the following areas:
- Le Grand community to include the areas of S. Minturn Road and Burchell Avenue, White Rock Road and between East Childs Avenue and East Harvey Pettit Road
- Planada Area to include Whealan Road to Cunningham Road and South Highway 140 to East Mission Road
- South Gustine area to include east of I-5 to Highway 33 and South of Sullivan Road to Cottonwood Road
- North Santa Nella area to include east of I-5 to Highway 33 and South of Husman Road to McCabe Road
If residents choose to evacuate, pre-planned shelters will be available. Those shelter sites and evacuation warning areas can be viewed on the Merced County EOC's Perimeter app.
Sandbags will remain available throughout the County. See Sandbag Locations for more information. To sign up for Merced County emergency alerts, visit the Merced County Emergency Notification System webpage. Further details about the current storm system, including alerts and safety information, is available at the National Weather Service’s website listed in the resources below.