The First 5 Merced County Commission awarded $1,026,802 to agencies in Merced County to support families with children 0-5 years old at its July 10 and August 14, 2017 meetings.
The seven programs all support families raising their children in safe, stable, and nurturing homes.
Four of the programs include direct services activities to parents and guardians to care for children in their earliest years of life. The new Direct Services awards include the following:
- ACE Overcomers - ACE Overcomers Program - $337,000
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Service Center - ASL for Kids - $20,250
- Merced County Office of Education - Parents Helping Parents - $108,031
- Sierra Vista Child and Family Services - Early Mental Health Support Services for Children and Families - $336,021
Three of the programs include systems change activities to affect local policies, systems, and procedures that affect families. The new Systems Change awards include the following:
- Healthy House Within a MATCH Coalition - Afya Maternal/Child Church-Based Health Network - $75,000
- Merced County Office of Education - Caring For Our Black Children - $75,000
- Project Prevention Coalition - Nurturing Hmong Children, Empowering Hmong Parents and Caregivers - $75,000
All of the services will be provided throughout the county.
First 5 Merced County is excited to partner with these agencies to help our youngest community members.
For more information about the Strong Families efforts, visit the Programs page or contact First 5 Merced County at (209) 385-7337.